Sunday, September 24, 2006

Global Warming


Here I am sitting in front of my computer on a Sunday morning at the end of September and the weather is just lovely. It's warm, although a bit cloudy, and everyone is out in tee shirts and shorts.
As part of my job is dealing with environmental issues I look at this and have pangs of conscience because actually I quite like the thought of having a climate here a few degrees warmer. Am I wrong to think that if it is inevitable we should be making provision to adjust to it or should we be going all out to change our lifestyle to such a degree that it makes us miserable.
Given that most people go abroad for their holidays for guaranteed sunshine, would it be bad for more people to holiday "at home" and not take so many "environmentally damaging" flights ?
What chance do we have to make a real impact on global warming without the major countries on the planet signing up for it ?
I have enjoyed this summer here in the U.K. and I wouldn't mind it developing into a nice mild Winter either.
So just a thought...should we enjoy the benefits from global warming or not? Does the thought make me a real villain ?
If there is anyone out there that would like to lecture me on selfishness and protecting our planet for future generations.. then please don't cause I know about that already, hence my pangs of conscience.
Anyway, I am off out now to enjoy this gorgeous sunshine. It's such a shame to stay in and miss it!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home